Monday, January 2, 2012

Words to Not Live By

I am really looking forward to this year; I've been looking forward to it for quite some time, actually!

This year there are a few words that I'd like to remove from my vocabulary, or at least in my thinking!

Just
I find that when I preface whatever role I am given with just, it belittles that role. It is very evident when it comes to volunteering.

Are you a greeter? You are not just a greeter; you are the face that is welcoming new and regular attendees and making all feel valued.
Are you a camera operator? You are not just a camera operator; you are tasked with communicating a message further than you can possibly imagine.
Are you a support labourer? You are not just a support labourer; you are entrusted with the responsibilities of helping ensure that the small details are not forgotten.

It is when we take action without motivation and passion driving us when we begin to lose sight of volunteering. That's when we become just a volunteer. Remember that you are more.

Always/Never
Do not limit yourself to absolutes, because when you break them they will harm your reputation. No one always or never does something. I knew a person who stated they "always showed up at 8:30 a.m." To test this claim I would check in at 8:25 a.m. for a week and it turned out most of the time this person came in ten minutes before nine. Circumstances change on occasion, so be prepared to adjust your plans.

Try
You either do it or you don't. Succeed or fail. There are lessons in either outcome, but to label the act as trying is only a comfortable excuse.


I will write about the words I will like to use more often this year, and for how many years that may follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment